Saturday 25 May 2013

Mini Movie Review: Star Trek into Darkness

I apologize for being a tad MIA lately. I didn't really have much to write about, and then my internet seemed to be on the fritz. Alas, I am back with a Star Trek review.
Since I couldn't go see Star Trek opening weekend, the only obvious choice was to see it on Tuesday. Because who doesn't love cheap movie night?
I'm going to start off with the synopsis and then let you know what I thought of the movie.
When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving the world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As the heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

The movie starts by throwing you right into the action. Kirk ends up doing something stupid (which isn't overly surprising) and gets the Enterprise taken away from him. Enter bad guy Benedict Cumberbatch, people dying and he gets the ship back. I actually almost cried at one death, to be totally honest. It just made me really sad.
John Harrison (Cumberbatch) gets away and the crew of the Enterprise are assigned to go after him and attack him with torpedoes. Kirk being the good guy that he is (mostly influenced by Spock's arguing) doesn't kill him and just takes him into custody. And we all know what happens when the hero tries to be the good guy and not kill the bad guy, something bad goes down. Mild spoiler alert: one of the main characters dies because of Harrison. That just about made me cry too.
The whole movie was very action packed. There were a few sad parts, but for the most part it was pretty hilarious. There were some great lines. My favourite supporting characters were by far Chekov and Scotty. The whole cast is fantastic and Benedict Cumberbatch is an awesome villain.
I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone, Trekky or not. Even if you haven't seen the first one I think you'd still enjoy it.
The only thing I'd say I disliked about the movie, was that the ending seemed almost too rushed and too easy. I felt like it just sort of ended. I can't really describe it very well, but I've discussed with a few people (minus my boyfriend) and they've all agreed with me. My boyfriend says I just need to do my research on the old Star Trek. Either way, I still thought it was a good movie.
Have you seen the movie yet? What did you think?
Stay tuned for more misadventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment