Thursday 27 June 2013

Mini Movie Review: Man of Steel

Another Tuesday, means another movie night. I was planning on wearing my Superman shirt and new belt buckle when I went, but I totally forgot and my shirt was still in Collingwood. Super disappointing.


Here's the synopsis of Man of Steel:
A young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this earth. As a young man, he makes a journey to discover where he came from and find out what he was sent here to do. Eventually, the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind.


I have to start out by saying I didn't love this movie. That's not to say I didn't like it, it just wasn't as awesome as I was hoping it was going to be.

It's incredibly awkward having a movie start with someone giving birth. And that's how this one started, with baby Kal-El being born. Then there's a fight, his dad dies, he gets shipped off to earth, and then he's a grown up on a fishing boat. It bothered me that they didn't start with his childhood. They didn't need to go through Jonathan and Martha finding him and him growing up, but even showing him right off in school panicking because he doesn't know what's happening to him might have been nice. It was shown, but as flashbacks.

I'd say the first, half or so, of the movie seemed a little...disjointed and rushed, I guess would be the best way to describe it. It was like they were trying to fit all his back story in so they could get to him becoming Superman (which they only actually call him once). There seemed to be a lot of flashbacks to him as a kid discovering his powers, and that he's not actually from earth, and then there was one where Jonathan dies. I was devastated when they showed that, and totally started crying. My boyfriend laughed at me, but I don't care it was so sad.

All in all, I really thought Henry Cavill did a good job as Superman. Amy Adams was an alright Lois. There was enough comic relief (I thought) that made it not super serious, which I liked.

I will be buying this movie, but perhaps not until it goes on sale a little cheaper. And I look forward to seeing if there will be a sequel.

The next movie I'm hoping to go see will be Monster's University. Unfortunately I work all week so I will be in Collingwood and will not have my boyfriend to go see it with, and am hoping it will come into 2D. So we'll see when I get to go.

Hope you're enjoying this summer's blockbusters, and as always, stay tuned for more misadventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment