Sunday 27 October 2013

CIBC Run for the Cure Update

I've been wanting to write this post for a while now, basically since the run, but I've been waiting for the website to update with fundraising totals. 3 weeks later and it's still not up, so I'm just going ahead and writing the post.

The Saturday before the run I had to work and woke up feeling like absolute crap. I'm not normally one to call in or go home sick, but that day was an exception. I didn't want to feel even worse on the Sunday so I went home early. Good thing I did because I was feeling a little bit better (very early) Sunday morning.

I unfortunately had to be there for 8am to drop off my offline donations, my team captain wasn't going to be there until 8:30, and the race didn't start until 10. After I dropped off my donations it started drizzling, so I just hid in my car for the next half hour.

I didn't actually know my team captain, hadn't met her before, so I wasn't even sure who I was looking for come 8:30. I saw someone carrying what looked like a tent, and thought it could be her, and when I saw it starting to go up, I saw Blue Mountain, and went over to help. Getting that tent up was no easy feat. If anyone had been watching us they probably would've thought we were ridiculous, but we got it put up and waited for the rest of our team to show up.

There were thirteen members on our team.

Back Row: Helen, Kevin, Taylar, Karen, Travis, Me, Chris, Amy, Dave, Alan
Front Row: Keaton, Heather, Blaire
I was proud of myself that I was not the last person on our team to finish. Not that it was really a race, but I was happy. Kevin unfortunately couldn't run due to an injury but he still came to support us and take pictures of us finishing. Travis was actually the first one to finish over all, which was pretty cool. I ran 4 out of the 5 km, so I was proud of that since I didn't think I'd be able to run any because of being sick, and according to the running app on my phone I finished in just under 36 minutes. I really wish I could have ran all of it, but there's always next year.


That's a really awful picture, but it's me almost at the finish line! Woohoo! And then I got a pretty carnation when I finished. Which lived for a surprisingly long time haha.

I managed to raise a total of $400.00, a big thank you goes out to everyone who donated (and bought cupcakes :) haha) I really appreciate it.

So that's my experience at the 2013 Run for the Cure, and once the numbers are up on the website I'll add them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment