Sunday 15 December 2013

Mini Movie Review: Catching Fire

I'm so slow at doing these reviews. I went to see this almost two weeks ago and am just starting this now. I also realized it's hard to review this movie without giving anything away. I figure most people have probably read the book, but if you haven't (shame on you); I'll try my best but prepare for possible spoilers.



Katniss Everdeen has returned home safely after winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games along with fellow tribute Peeta Mellark. Winning means that they must turn around and leave their family and close friends, embarking on a "Victor's Tour" of the districts. Along the way, Katniss senses that a rebellion is simmering, but the Capitol is still very much in control as President Snow prepares the 75th Annual Hunger Games (The Quarter Quell) - a competition that could change Panem forever.

I didn't reread the book before watching the movie this time, which I think was probably a good thing. I either would have gotten annoyed at the movie while watching, or I would have just annoyed Josh. There was only one or two things I remember from the book that wasn't in the movie, but from what I remember (honestly not much) and discussing with other people it seems to be on par with the book.

For the most part, it was super depressing. I mean what can you expect when the premise of the book is to have 24 kids locked in an arena trying to kill each other, but the movie was about much more than that. Katniss is inadvertently starting a rebellion and is being forced to try and stop it, all the while trying to keep herself and her family alive. I think Jennifer Lawrence did a phenomenal job once again as Katniss.

I enjoyed the movie, it kept me interested and engaged. I liked being the one to have to explain something to Josh for a change (as opposed to all the Marvel movies...). I will be buying this when it comes out, and I can't wait for Mockingjay Part 1 (November 2014).

No comments:

Post a Comment