Wednesday 30 April 2014

Harry Potter Reread: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

April brings the reread of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. The post explaining the reread can be found here, along with a list of other bloggers that are participating.

And in case you don't remember what the book is about, here is the synopsis.

The summer holidays are dragging on and Harry Potter can't wait for the start of the school year. It is his fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and there are spells to be learnt and (unluckily) Potions and Divination lessons to be attended. But Harry can't know that the atmosphere is darkening around him, and his worst enemy is preparing a fate that it seems will be inescapable ...With characteristic wit, fast-paced humour and marvellous emotional depth, J.K. Rowling has proved herself yet again to be a master story-teller.
Warning: This post will likely contain more spoilers that my previous posts.

I can't really figure out how I felt about this one. It wasn't that I didn't like it, but there were just some things that bothered me about it. It's mostly towards the end of the book and they're, I suppose you could almost call them continuity errors. The fact that Voldemort tells Wormtail to "kill the spare" even though he could use his wand at the beginning to kill Frank Bryce. And when Cedric comes out of the wand during priori incantatem, if Wormtail killed him, I would have assumed he would have had his own wand (or at least stolen one) by then and would have used his own wand and not Voldemort's. And then if I remember correctly, James should have come out after Lily because he was killed first. And lastly, when they're leaving Hogwarts at the end of the year, Harry should be able to see the thestrals because they take the carriages back to the station. Why can't he see them?!? The only logical explanation I can come up with is that he's still in denial about seeing Cedric die and hasn't actually come to terms with what he saw.

I also don't like when Ron and Harry are fighting. I just want to smack Ron (or throw a button at his head :) haha) for not believing his best friend when he tells him he didn't put his name in the Goblet.

I do love that we get to see Dobby again. Though it hurts to think what happens to him. But he's just such a happy and ridiculous character you can't help but love him. I love when he gives Harry the gillyweed and says he has to save his "Wheezy".

With this book I couldn't help but compare it to the movies and notice the differences. The first 3 weren't as bad but while reading this one I kept thinking about it. The one part I did like in the movie that they changed was when Beauxbatons and Durmstrang came in. Though in the book it was kind of funny, "It's a dragon!" "Don't be stupid...it's a flying house!" pg 213, I thought the way they did it in the movie was cool.

Random side note for HP/Doctor Who lovers: David Tennant plays Barty Crouch Jr in the movies, in the book he dies (or gets his soul sucked out) in the chapter titled "the parting of the ways" and the episode where the tenth doctor appears is also called "the parting of the ways" :)

Overall it's still a good book. Unfortunately I'm finding that during this reread, I don't quite love the books as much as I used too. And it actually makes me really sad. I don't know if it's because I read them so much when I was younger or just built them up so much, or even just because I'm analysing them more for these posts, but they just don't feel the same. Hopefully it gets better and I stop feeling that way. 3 more rereads to go!

I'm looking forward to next month because we get more of the twins (if I remember correctly), and  Dumbledore's Army. But I am not looking forward to Umbridge. Ugh.

Hope you enjoyed this month's reread and come back next month for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.


1 comment:

  1. WHEEZY! Gah! It kills me.
    I am also dreading Umbridge but looking forward to the rest of OOTP. Even though seeing more of the twins and Lupin and Tonks and Sirius makes me want to slit my wrists. I don't know if I can handle it.
    I hear you on the expectations thing. It's hard to go in and not think so highly of these books because they really are super amazing. Try not to think of these posts as an analysis but simply as a discussion. I think that might help. That's how I approach most of my reviews, anyway.

    ReplyDelete