Friday 11 April 2014

Mini Movie Review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I actually got to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier the first week it came out! So exciting. Unfortunately the only option was to go see it in 3D, so I sucked it up and went (because I don't want to have to wait until it's released on DVD). We went to the early showing, which I have not gone to in ages, because we went to buy our tickets for the 7:30 showing and then just decided that since we were there we might as well just watch it then.


Two years after the disastrous events in The Avengers, Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) lives in Washington D.C., struggling to embrace and adapt to modern society. When a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent is murdered, Steve must team up with Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson), a.k.a. Black Widow, to uncover the assailant's plan, while also battling a threat from his past: the Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan) from Soviet Russia.
I greatly enjoyed this movie. And Josh didn't seem to have anything to complain about either, so good job to Marvel. I spent at least half the movie laughing, because of lines said by some of the characters. I also liked that there were familiar faces from previous Marvel movies (Fury, Agent Hill, Black Widow) as well as new characters (Falcon, Agent 13).

 It shows quite a bit of Steve's past, which fits in with who the Winter Soldier really is. (The part when he finds out who it is makes me really sad). It also shows that he still has a lot of adapting and learning to do. Even though it's been over 2 years since he's been brought back, he's still having a hard time adjusting. I think it's adorable that he has a little book of things that he needs to learn (mostly pop culture, things to read or watch). There's also an exhibit about him and his life at the Smithsonian (which I cracked up when I saw, not totally sure why I thought it was so funny), but I would actually love to be able to go visit it.

I love that Black Widow got to be a part of this movie, so far she's only gotten supporting roles in 2 other than The Avengers, but it's better than nothing. I'm actually trying to recall if they even call her Black Widow in the movie. If they do, it's not often. I also like that you get to see Natasha and Steve as "normal" people, when they're trying to stay below the radar. And if you look closely at Natasha's necklace, it's an arrow, which is cute because (I assume) it's from Hawkeye.

If you've never seen the first Captain America or The Avengers, the plot will be a tad confusing, but not so much that you would be totally lost and wouldn't enjoy it. Make sure to stay all the way to the end, as usual. There are 2 credit scenes, one comes after the first little run of end credits and then there's another one at the very end. The first preludes the next Avengers and the one at the very end made me kind of sad (though Josh was excited because "he knew it!" lol). I will definitely be buying this and adding it to my Marvel collection (Josh will be so proud haha), and I would recommend this to anyone, even if they're not a Marvel fan. If you like action movies, you'll enjoy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment