Friday 6 June 2014

Running Like a Girl Challenge Update: Run #1


June 4th was National Running Day. The Westin hotel at Blue Mountain Resort where I work was holding a 5km run in celebration of that. I decided to sign up for it as another run to do in June for my Running Like a Girl Challenge. This is a challenge being put on by Simon & Schuster Canada and my post explaining it can be found here.

My run did not go super fantastically, but on the flip side I suppose it wasn't completely horrible. The run started at 9am, got there just after 8:30 to register and stand around awkwardly while everyone else was talking to their friends they were going to be running with. I was supposed to have been running with a girl I worked with over the winter but she bailed. Ok fine, she got asked to work because they were apparently super busy, so I can't really be mad.

I haven't been keeping up with training, which I'm actually quite disappointed with myself about. I'm really not sure what it is that's keeping me from running. I want to run, but I guess I just get home from work and feel exceptionally lazy and would rather just sit on my butt and not do anything. But I really have no one else to blame but myself.

The run itself actually ended up only being 4.75km according to my run tracker on my phone. I suppose you can only get so close when you're dealing with the streets you have on a resort property. I ran it in just under 32 minutes, which I suppose is alright. I had to walk a little bit, probably around half a km, but I managed to make it to the 3km mark before I walked (since I knew from a previous run that I could, in fact, run 3km without stopping).

My running attire usually consists of my Adidas ultimate tee (I have 3, they're amazing), and a pair of regular Adidas capris and my trusty Adidas (yes, ok, I am mildly obsessed with the brand) running shoes that I've probably had for 4 or so years, and haven't actually seen that much use. Though on Wednesday I wish I had thrown on a tank top instead and had a good pair of shorts because it was much hotter than I expected. I still haven't gotten very good at figuring out what to wear based on the weather and how hot I'm going to actually get while running. I don't want to be cold while running so I usually end up wearing too much and get way too hot. I also want to get a pair of running shorts, because all of my shorts are big, baggy gym shorts that aren't so great for running, but I don't want to spend money on new running stuff if I'm not going to keep at it. It's a bit of a predicament.

My goal would be to be able to run 5km in 30 minutes or less. I know for my next run it will be much longer than 30 minutes, because it's not a typical road race. It's a mud race with obstacles. And again, haven't been training too much so we'll see how that goes. That race will be taking place on June 14th, so stay tuned for my recap of that run.

Thanks for following me on this journey so far :)

No comments:

Post a Comment